Mail Block Known Spammer Issue

We send out several email broadcasts during the month. Several of the emails come back as a bounce marked “Mail Block Known Spammer Issue”. Our emails are not getting to these recipients and that is a problem.

We can send email directly to these recipients through GMail without any issue. I need to know how to resolve this issue since we are not spamming them, I have verified through your software and through a 3rd party that the email when scanned does not have spamming elements.

Please advise.

Justine

1 Like

Hi, Justine (@Justine_Pretorious),

More often than not, this would happen if one of Infusionsoft’s (IS’) email domain ip addresses have been black listed. This happens to all senders at times and IS is very active in getting them removed from black listing when it does happen.

Additionally, you’ll want to make certain that your DKIM, SPF and DMARC records are properly setup. If you’d like to share the domain for the email address you’re using, I can check the SPF and DMARC for you. If your DKIM is setup properly, then you should have the ‘green check mark’ icon in your email authentication in your IS app (see example image below). Not having these setup correctly will generate different results from email clients (since they each put a different level of importance on each it won’t be the same behavior between one or the other). If you don’t have the check mark icon in your app then your DKIM has NOT been setup properly and regardless of behavior for the different email clients, that will result in most (if not nearly all) emails going to the junk folder, rather than the inbox. You can find dkim setup under Marketing->Settings and clicking on 'Email Authentication" to the left (see example image below)

2 Likes

John,

Thank you for getting back to me. The domain is meetgreen.com and the DKIM has the green check mark.

Let me know what else I can do.

Justine

1 Like

I don’t want to take this too off-topic, but we do conferences too! I want to say meetgreen is a pretty cool idea. We provide videography and content distribution services at digivisionmedia.com. I see a lot of waste at conferences, so it’s nice to see someone trying to prevent it.

1 Like

Hi u/John_Borelli

We attempted to follow these steps and “Add a Domain,” but we did not have a great result.
There was not a green check mark and a set up like what you showed above, so we moved forward with the steps. Instead we received an email that looked like this:
Hello Tanya,

We are reaching out to you to inform you that the DKIM configuration for your localfirstaz.com domain is no longer valid in your app xg112. To help ensure the successful delivery of your marketing emails, you will need to reconfigure your DKIM settings and update your application.

Any recommendation on what we did wrong?

Thank!
Tanya

John,

Is there anything else I can do on my end or work with someone on fixing this for me. I understand that the IP address plays a big factor but these are clients that should be able to receive our broadcasts.

Thank You,
Justine

Hi, @Tanya_Chakravarty

Sorry, I was out of town for a few days :wink:

So you do not have SPF or DMARC setup and that also means the new BIMI (which isn’t needed but preferred as more email clients make use of it).

@Justine_Pretorious,

Yours is much the same as the other…I can see no record of spf or dmarc and bimi would also not be in place.

This might not be related, but if you’re using Bluehost or Hostgator, I recommend moving your services elsewhere. Your emails are probably being sent straight to a trash bin and never delivered simply because Bluehost and Hostgator will host known spammers, and you get punished by association.

I recently learned that they let all kinds of spammers host on their shared servers, which leads to a lot of admins blocking them. That means your legitimate emails get outright shredded simply because of association, because they originate on the same server as these spammers.

Bluehost/hostgator (which are owned by the same company) will recognize this as an issue if you call, and will offer that you pay them more to be insulated from this crap that they allowed in the first place.

I’m moving everything I have with them, which is a lot. It will probably take me until August, but learning that this is why over the last five years clients sometimes don’t receive my emails is just too much.

The reason I posted is because I went searching for answers (again, for like the 20th time) when I did the steps suggested in this thread to “verify the DKIM record”. I got that all good to go, but when an InfusionSoft test email to myself from a campaign sequence evaporated into nothing, I looked for more answers. At this point, I am 100% blaming Bluehost for any and all undelivered “known spammer” emails.

If you’re on Bluehost or Hostgator, kick them to the curb as fast as you can. If you’re not, do some searching and check on your host’s reputation for letting spammers get away with hurting your web efforts.

@DVM,

The resolution for this is to get a private ip address for your domain. Then your domain won’t be associated with the spammers on the public ip address they used for shared/vps hosting. It usually costs only about 10-20 dollars per year, so it’s quite cost effective to do.

You know, I have one for my site, but I don’t know how to use it for email too, or if that’s even possible or if Bluehost will allow it. At this point, principle is a big motivator to get away from that company.

Thank you! Very interesting.

2 Likes